I don’t know about you all but I am so inspired by all of the amazing DIY gifts being shared this month! Today I want to show you how to make this easy DIY cutting board which would be the perfect gift for any foodies on your Christmas list!
- 16 by 9.5″ untreated hardwood
- 80 grit sandpaper
- 220 grit sandpaper
- mineral oil
- drill and large drill bit
1. Trace out the desired shape of your cutting board – Draw a 12″ by 9.25″ rectangle for the main portion of the cutting board. Extend the handle 4″ from one end making it 2″ at the base and 3″ at the widest point.
2. Round the corners of the cutting board using a roll of tape or any other circle template you might have on hand.
3. Use a jigsaw to cut out the cutting board.
4. Find the center of the handle by marking 1.5 in from the widest part. Use a large drill bit to create a hole.
5. Sand the cutting board thoroughly with a medium 80 grit sandpaper and then follow with a fine 22 grit sandpaper. Wipe the board clean of any dust or residue.
6. Condition your board using mineral oil. You can find mineral oil in the pharmacy section of any grocery store with the digestive aids. Wipe the oil on with a clean cloth or paper towel. Allow the wood to absorb the oil, wipe off any excess.
There you have it!
In less than an hour you can create a personal DIY gift that anyone would love to add to their kitchen. You can also further customize this gift by the type of wood you choose to vary the coloring. I used oak but walnut, maple or cherry would be gorgeous as well!
Care for your new cutting board by sanitizing with white vinegar and reconditioning with mineral oil every three months.
Pin for later!